Monday, January 21, 2013

WOKa - WOKa

Sometimes haste makes good food.  After a long day of running the pup at the beach, we came home sandy and starving with 30 minutes before the football game. In times like these, I have to whip up something quick and substantial.  No time to make two meals - one for veggie me and one for omnivore husband.

Luckily, I had made brown rice the day before so it served as a bed for my WOK creation.

THERE IS NO PICTURE BECAUSE:
A)  In my haste and hunger, a blog post was the last thing on my mind.
B)  It's all gone and good brussel sprouts are a rarity.  I can't recreate on a whim down here.

So please trust that this is beautiful in your wok and roll with me...

15 fresh brussel sprouts - stem trimmed and then halved
1 large head of broccoli - cut into chunky florets
1/2 yellow onion, diced fine
1 clove of garlic, sliced into thin shavings
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 package of extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
2 tablespoons of light sodium teriyaki sauce
2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts or cashews

Garnish to taste -
red pepper flakes
sweet chili sauce
Sriracha sauce

First, dice the tofu and place it on a plate or in a plastic bag and cover with teriyaki sauce.  Make sure all surfaces are coated well and let sit.

Heat up the wok and add sesame oil.  Toss in the brussel sprouts, broccoli, onions and garlic shavings and turn to coat.  I like to let the veggies just sit in the pan and brown up a bit before I start stirring them around.  I'm a sucker for brown edges!

The sprouts and the broccoli will love your wok and will turn a gorgeous bright green to thank you.  Cook the veggies to desired softness and then place them into a bowl to the side.

Next, unleash the teriyaki coated tofu into the wok and do the same - let the tofu start to brown in the heat of the wok.  Teriyaki is sweet so it can burn.  Keep an eye on your tofu.  When the tofu has some brown edges, toss in the sesame seeds to coat the tofu.  Count to ten and then pour the veggies back into the wok, add the peanuts and give it all a good stir.  Remove from heat.

My Favorite Part:  I warmed up a little brown rice in two bowls and then just lugged the wok into the living room and set in on a serving tray on our ottoman, surrounded by red pepper flakes, chili sauce and Sriracha.  The huz and I ate our way to the bottom of the wok.  Let the game begin!

How about those Harbaugh brothers?!  Great sports story in the making...



* I've come a long way with tofu.  In the beginning, I had to let it sit under a pile of dictionaries for hours to get all the water out.  Now I barely do any pressing.  I just rinse it off, cut it into quarters and wrap it in a dishtowel while I'm doing the dishes or whatever.  It doesn't soak up as much marinade flavor as fully pressed tofu but when I'm in a jam, pressing is the first thing I eliminate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment