Monday, June 17, 2013

Baking Soda Experiment

Picture taken from "Daily Inspirations For Healthy Living"
Day One:

Although washing your hair with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar costs almost nothing, it requires some set up.  I put a container of baking soda, a small ramekin, a spoon and an old toothbrush in the shower and then cleaned out an old shampoo bottle to store the vinegar mixture.

About twice per week I use baking soda as an exfoliant on my face and I brush my teeth with it every other day.  Did I mention that Crest ProHealth mouthwash turned my teeth BROWN?  Oh yes - I almost died.  You can read about this train wreck of a product here.  The baking soda brushing has finally restored my teeth to normal - almost.  Never buy that product. Ever.

For the vinegar rinse I used one shot glass of white vinegar and 4 shot glasses of water + 2 drops of lavender essential oil in the old shampoo bottle.  Because everything should smell like yoga!

I got a tip to use the baking soda 'shampoo' asap once the water is added so I mixed it in the ramekin while in the shower.  2 big spoons of baking soda and 6 spoons of shower water.

The first dollop went on my face to exfoliate.   Then I moved onto my hair and scrubbed the baking soda into the roots only.  I did not pull it through the ends.  I let it sit for three minutes.  While it was "baking" I dipped the old toothbrush into the remaining mixture and used it to clean my wedding ring.

When I rinsed, I panicked a little.  My hair felt like it had expanded into 50 strands of rough twine.  I double checked that my "real" conditioner was in the corner - safety net. Then I rinsed with the vinegar/lavender/water by tipping my head back and letting it run through.  Surprisingly, my hair suddenly felt conditioned.  Weird.

Dried my hair as usual.  My hair is pretty fluffy but feels a little like I didn't wash it.

6:00 p.m. - During yoga (outside) I can smell vinegar when I break a sweat.  Not cool.

Day Two:

8:00 a.m. - Same wash/rinse regiment.  My hair feels dirty and thick after blowdrying.  Not a good look.  I'm hosting a lunch time party at work today that will require lots of running around outside so I'm packing a pony tail holder just in case.

4:00 p.m. - Hair was a mess and was relegated to pony tail for the party.  I never thought I looked much like Robert Pattinson but...



Now I have dinner out with people I've never met.  I can't go out like this - I'm washing my hair with shampoo.  Sorry.

Day Three:

8:00 a.m. - Nothing special today but I have another party tonight.  I'm torn.

8:15 a.m. - I became "un-torn" when I got into the shower, 'washed' my hair with baking soda and then realized that I forgot to mix the vinegar rinse in the kitchen before I got in the shower.  This is a sign from God.  I am not made for this "no-poo" routine.

Day Four:

8:00 a.m. - I thought briefly about washing with Baking Soda but realized that even if my scalp adjusted and my hair looked great, I have too many grays and root touch ups to use baking soda as shampoo.  Why color and then strip it out?

Relieved.  I happily washed my hair with L'Oreal Sulfate Free Shampoo and Conditioner.

The baking soda is back in the refrigerator where it belongs :)



I know a lot of you wanted to try this so PLEASE give it a shot and let me know how it goes for you. I have a feeling that my fine hair just wasn't the right texture to make this work.  I would love to hear your experience!  Good Luck!

L

No comments:

Post a Comment